I’m always looking for ways to sneak vegetables into each meal of the day. This morning, I was craving oatmeal and we ran out of zucchini, which I often grate into my oatmeal. So, I looked in the fridge, saw a carrot and thought, let me try to make a play on a carrot cake oatmeal recipe. It’s pretty darn delicious. I think I may even eat the second portion for dessert.
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Serves 2. Adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup finely grated peeled carrot
- 1 grated apple (skin removed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg, to taste
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened oat or almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- Maple syrup to taste (may not be necessary)
- Peel and finely grate the carrots on the finest grate of a box grater. (Grating the carrots smaller helps the carrot cook quickly and blend into the oats.)
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, whisk together the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt until smooth.
- Stir in the grated carrots and apples and oats. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 8 to 11 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Add additional milk if it is thick or begins sticking in the pot. Add maple syrup to taste (I find it is sweet enough without the maple syrup, as the carrots and apples get sweeter as they cook down).
- Top with roasted walnuts and/or fresh lemon juice. Also delicious with whipped cream if you’re having it as a healthy dessert!
I hope you enjoy this carrot cake oatmeal recipe. Drop a note below and let me know what you topped yours with!